"An anxious mind cannot exist in a relaxed body."
- Edmond Jacobson
Why Massage For Anxiety?
- HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING?
- CONSTANTLY WORRY?
- HAVE CHRONIC MUSCLE TENSION?
Massage will leave you feeling more at ease and bring relief from the physical discomforts that come with anxiety disorders. Living with anxiety is an overwhelming, all consuming condition both mentally and physically. The worry can be relentless, day and night. Your thoughts race and your brain doesn’t turn off despite your body begging for rest, often times preventing a good night’s sleep. You may feel restless, irritable and constantly on edge. Or not be able to sit still, or relax. Your muscles constantly feel tight, sore and sometimes painful, which can lead to headaches or jaw pain. Does any of this sound familiar?
What is Generalized Anxiety Disorder?
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) is a disorder characterized by 6 months or more of chronic uncontrollable excessive worry about everyday things. Individuals with GAD worry more than seems warranted and expect the worst.
Symptoms of GAD:
- Muscle pain & tension (often in neck, shoulders, and jaw)
- Trouble sleeping
- Difficulty concentrating
- Physical symptoms (heart racing, sweating, dizzy, nausea)
Why Massage for Anxiety?
Choosing massage therapy can help you take charge of your mental and physical health. It is one of the best ways to alleviate the physical symptoms and calm a racing mind associated with anxiety disorders. It has been proven to help relieve sleep disturbances, muscle tension, and irritability.
Benefits of Massage
- Slows breathing, reduces heart rate and blood pressure.
- Increases the levels of the dopamine and serotonin in our body. These are neurotransmitters that help regulate and improve your mood.
- Decreases the stress hormone, cortisol. When levels increase it can cause mood swings, anxiety/depression, poor sleep and decreased immune function.
- Improves sleep patterns by reducing REM sleep (dream cycle) and increasing sleep stages 3 and 4 (deep sleep phases). The deep sleep phase is rejuvenating and restorative.
- Eases tension in the neck, shoulders and jaw that often come with being in a state of high stress/anxiety.
- Helps calm the mind and creates an overall sense of relaxation.
What to Expect
Like many other therapies it is most effective when received on a consistent basis. However, even by the end of one treatment you can experience significant relief in achy muscles and feel a decrease in anxiety and stress levels. During your first appointment we will discuss your desired outcome from receiving massage. Your intake form and input are essential in guiding a treatment plan that is best suited to help you achieve your goals. Maybe you are looking for a long-term plan to manage the strains of anxiety. Or perhaps you want help coping during periods of increased stress. If you want some additional support, or massage isn’t the right fit for you, I’ve got you covered. I have connections with other professionals that can help. Are you ready to take back control? Schedule your appointment here.